The North City

Castillo de San Marco

The area extends from north of the Castillo San Marcos to the City Gates to the North, west to the San Sebastian River and east to Intracoastal Waterway is known as "the North City."

This land was first settled by the Minorcans in the 1770’s as farmland and then the English gave 50 land grants with the goal of the settlement of St. Augustine being totally self sustaining. Most of the land on either side of the San Sebastian river was citrus groves. There are 2 homes which exist today which were built in 1880’s: 23 Water St and 19 Joiner St. and are excellent examples of the Territorial Period. Today there are a variety of architectural styles which include Victorian, Bungalows, etc. throughout the North City area. The most well known sites are the Mission of Nombre de Dios,The Fountain of Youth and the School for the Deaf and Blind.

 

North City Homes for Sale